• བོད་ཡིག
Tuesday, August 18, 2026
Tibet Times Eng
  • Home
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Video
  • Self-immolation
  • 2008 Uprising
  • Books
  • Ads
    • Ads Tariff
    • Tibet Times Ads
  • Gallery
    • Religion
    • School
    • Politics
    • Environment & Life
  • About Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Video
  • Self-immolation
  • 2008 Uprising
  • Books
  • Ads
    • Ads Tariff
    • Tibet Times Ads
  • Gallery
    • Religion
    • School
    • Politics
    • Environment & Life
  • About Us
No Result
View All Result
Tibet Times Eng
བོད་ཡིག
No Result
View All Result

China Deploys Troops and Tightens Controls at Larung Gar as Demolitions Continue

Tibet Times by Tibet Times
August 18, 2026
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Reported by Palden

Translated by Choegyal Kyab

The Chinese government has stationed large numbers of troops at Larung Gar in Serta and imposed tight restrictions across the religious encampment, sharply limiting access for tourists and pilgrims as authorities press ahead with the demolition of monks’ and nuns’ quarters.

Demolition of monastic residential quarters at Larung Gar, Serta.

The demolition of the residential quarters set among the dwellings of the monks, nuns, and lay practitioners is ongoing. Under government directives, the checkpoint on the access road to Larung Gar is admitting only a small number of local people and tourists, and even then under close control. More troops than before have been deployed inside the encampment, monitoring the movements of tourists, residents, and monastics alike.

A well-informed source said the government is now strictly barring tourists and pilgrims arriving from within Tibet and elsewhere in China from entering the encampment. The few who are admitted must travel by public transport under arrangements set by the checkpoint — private and rental vehicles are not permitted — and are confined to assigned areas rather than free to move as they wish, the source added.

A second source said permit-holders had previously been allowed to fly drones over Larung Gar to take photographs and video, but the checkpoint banned all drone filming once the demolitions began last month. Troops in military uniform, along with plainclothes personnel posing as ordinary civilians, have since been deployed to conduct open and covert surveillance, repeatedly disrupting local monks, nuns, residents, and visitors.

Some years ago, the government declared that Larung Gar had too many buildings and was therefore unsafe, and resolved to demolish the area around the Gyutrul Lhakhang. Because that area holds temples, shrine halls, and circumambulation paths, the monastic administration filed repeated appeals — and those appeals bore fruit, sparing the site. The reprieve proved narrow, however: rather than the Gyutrul Lhakhang area, it was the residential quarters among the monastics’ dwellings that the authorities moved to demolish. Since July 13 this year, those quarters have been torn down one after another, and the work continues. Monks and nuns whose quarters have been destroyed have been barred from remaining at Larung Gar and forcibly sent back to their home regions or to monasteries there.

On the 11th of this month, during the demolition, a monk who raised a photograph of the 10th Panchen Lama in protest was arrested and taken away by police; his whereabouts remain unknown.

The government has repeatedly used such pretexts — that Larung Gar had too many monastic dwellings, or that they lacked legal documentation — to demolish residences in 2001, 2016, and 2019, capping the number of monks and nuns each time and forcing many who had come from other areas to return home. Controls at the encampment have tightened year after year.

 

 

 

Tags: China forced Tibetan familiesdemolitiontroops

Related Posts

China Pushes New Narrative Claiming Zhang Zhung Civilisation as the Origin of Tibetan Buddhism

China Pushes New Narrative Claiming Zhang Zhung Civilisation as the Origin of Tibetan Buddhism

August 14, 2026
County Governor Druk Bum Gyal Dismissed After Refusing to Enforce Religious Restrictions

County Governor Druk Bum Gyal Dismissed After Refusing to Enforce Religious Restrictions

August 2, 2026
Restrictions Imposed on Pilgrims to Sacred Nyenpo Yurtse

Restrictions Imposed on Pilgrims to Sacred Nyenpo Yurtse

July 31, 2026
Over 1,000 Monastic Quarters Facing Demolition at Larung Gar in Serta, Tibet

Monastics Displaced by Demolitions In Larung Gar Ordered to Return to Native Areas

July 27, 2026
Over 1,000 Monastic Quarters Facing Demolition at Larung Gar in Serta, Tibet

Over 1,000 Monastic Quarters Facing Demolition at Larung Gar in Serta, Tibet

July 22, 2026
Prominent Tibetan Scholar Demchok Passes Away

Prominent Tibetan Scholar Demchok Passes Away

July 18, 2026

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Social Media
Address

Bod-Kyi-Dus-Bab (Tibet Times)
Upper Gamru, Near Hanuman Mandir, Below CTA Basket Ground
Dharamsala – 176215, District Kangra, Himachal Pradesh, India

Phone

+91-92189-38041 | +91-98823-47075 | +91-81972-44372

Email

editor@tibettimes.net | office@tibettimes.net

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Video
  • Self-immolation
  • 2008 Uprising
  • Books
  • Ads
    • Ads Tariff
    • Tibet Times Ads
  • Gallery
    • Religion
    • School
    • Politics
    • Environment & Life
  • About Us

© 2023 Tibet Times - Developed by Tenzin Choenyi.